A one day course for people who work with diversity issues internally and externally
The object of this course is to increase awareness and respect for differences among people leading to improved workplace performance and environment. Topics include the current legislation, awareness of cultural differences and the identification of prejudice. Participants will also consider advantages and difficulties of working in a multicultural workplace
Understanding and working with diversity is not just a matter of following a government or social dictum or pursuing the drive towards ‘political correctness’ there is a large potential market awaiting those organisations prepared to explore the potential of all people with integrity so that everyone in their employ can share the hopes, aspirations and needs of the rest of society.
As a result of attending the course participants will be able to:
- Gain a clear understanding of what diversity is and why it is beneficial
- Consider different types and aspects of diversity
- Be able to work with people in situations diversity issues apply
- Apply relevant techniques to engage people and overcome barriers
- Be better able to deal with disagreements and group conflicts
- Create a supportive atmosphere in the workplace
Topics to include:
- Gender Issues
- Getting to grips with gender differences
- Equal opportunities for women
- Meetings – letting everyone contribute
- Stereotyping Jobs.
- Jobs for the boys or jobs for the girls?
- Women Returners.
- Women coming back to a future
- Working Carers.
- Make the organisation understanding about the family
- Ethnic/Racial Issues.
- How employment prospects can blighted by prejudice
- Race and questions of selection and promotion
- Disability Issues
- Ability/Disability – The Real Issue is Fitness for Work
- Sexual Preference
- Sexual Preference and Overlooked Minorities
- Age Discrimination
- Are they too young to Know or too old to apply it?
- Bullying victimisation
- Bullying – not strong management, but weak leadership
- Less hassle means more work
- Sexual harassment touches the entire workforce
- Current and future legislation
- The race relations and disability legislation
- Article 13 of the EC Treaty
Duration and Training Methods
A one day course offering a combination of formal content and exercises, this course seeks to address the issues in an interesting and non-challenging way that encourages participants to express their views.